Maecenas mauris elementum, est morbi interdum cursus at elite imperdiet libero. Proin odios dapibus integer an nulla augue pharetra cursus.
Cephalexin (cephalosporin antibiotic) is an antibiotic which is generally used to treat bacterial infection by stopping the growth of bacteria. It is used to treat bacterial infections such as pneumonia, infection of urinary tract, ear, skin or upper respiratory infections.
What precautions do I need to take before taking Cephalexin?
Following points must be taken into consideration before taking cephalexin as it can lead to serious consequences:
- Cephalexin should not be taken without consulting doctor if you are the one who is sensitive to cephalexin or any similar antibiotics like Fortaz, Ceclor, Cefzil, Spectracef, Duricef and others
- If you have any intestinal disorder like ulcerative colitis, antibiotic-associated colitis or diabetes etc., or any liver or kidney disease or malnourished then cephalexin should be taken only after consulting doctor.
- If you are pregnant or plan to conceive pregnancy, then also consult doctor before taking medicine.
- If you breast-feeding a baby cephalexin should be avoided as it passes into breast milk and may harm baby.
How should Cephalexin be used?
Cephalexin can be taken orally as it is available in the form of a capsule, tablet and liquid. It is usually recommended to be taken after 6 hours or 12 hours for about 7 to 10 days depending upon the severity of infection. The dose of cephalexin should not be increased or decreased without consulting the doctor.
Cephalexin in some cases causes an upset stomach and therefore it is recommended that it should be taken along with. In case, if you miss a dose take it at earliest as you get reminded of it but don’t take extra medicine in order to compensate the dose that you have missed.
What are the side effects of Cephalexin?
In case cephalexin cause following side effects, immediately call doctor or seek medical assistance without any lapse of time:
- Any allergic reactions like difficulty breathing, swallowing or wheezing, skin rash, hives, or itching, etc
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- upset stomach
- vaginal infection
How should I store Cephalexin?
Cephalexin should be stored in the box or container it comes in and should be tightly closed. It should be kept in dry place at normal room temperature. If it is in liquid form then it should be kept in refrigerator. Unused medicine must be thrown after the expiry of such medicine.
What if I am taking any other drug?
If you are taking any other drug or any herbal product or dietary supplements with cephalexin, the effect of medicines may get altered. It may in some cases lead to drug interaction. Further this increases the risk of side effects or may interrupt the working of medicine.
It is recommended that you should tell you doctor about any medicine that you are taking in case he is prescribing you cephalexin. While taking cephalexin if you want to start, change the dosage or stop any other medicine, doctor’s consultation is necessary.
If you are undergoing any surgery, it is recommended that you should inform to your doctor about usage of cephalexin.