Trimox (generic name – amoxicillin) is an antibiotic which belongs to the class of antibiotic termed penicillin. Trimox is used to fight bacterial infections such as bronchitis, gonorrhea, tonsillitis, pneumonia, and other infections of nose, skin, ear or urinary tract. Trimox is also used with other medicines like Biaxin to cure stomach or intestinal ulcers
Trimox (generic name – amoxicillin) is an antibiotic which belongs to the class of antibiotic termed penicillin. Trimox is used to fight bacterial infections such as bronchitis, gonorrhea, tonsillitis, pneumonia, and other infections of nose, skin, ear or urinary tract.
Trimox is also used with other medicines like Biaxin to cure stomach or intestinal ulcers usually caused by bacteria by Helicobacter pylori infection. It will not treat any viral infection such as flu or common cold
What precautions do I need to take before taking Trimox?
Following things must be taken into consideration before taking trimox as it can lead to serious consequences:
- If you are allergic to any penicillin antibiotics, then you should avoid taking trimox and take this medicine only after consulting your doctor in such case.
- If you have any history of kidney disease, food allergy, asthma, infectious mononucleosis, then trimox should not be taken without consulting doctor.
- If you are pregnant or plan to conceive pregnancy, then also consult doctor before taking medicine
- If you breast-feeding a baby trimox should be avoided as it passes into breast milk and may harm baby.
- If you are taking birth control pills, consult your doctor before taking trimox as it reduces the effectiveness of birth control pills.
What is prescribed dosage that can be taken?
Prescribed dosage in each case depends upon the condition of the patient and the severity of infection. Therefore you should not take more or less than the dose prescribed by the doctor.
If you have missed any dose take it as soon as you remember but don’t take extra medicine in order to compensate the missed dose.
What are the side effects of Trimox?
Immediately call your doctor or seek medical assistance if you notice any of the following side effects after taking trimox:
- Any signs of allergic reaction such as swelling up of your face, throat, lips or tongue or difficulty in breathing;
- Watery or bloody diarrhea, nausea or vomiting;
- Fever or weakness;
- Painful oral sores or swelling of gums;
- Skin sores, rashes or itching;
- Viral infection such as sore throat, cold, flu or cough;
- Pale colour of skin or eyes, dark colored urine;
- Headache or stomach ache;
- Pain in muscles, weakness or numbness;
- Unusual vaginal discharge or itching;
- Red or purple under skin spots or patches
What if I take overdose of Trimox?
Immediately seek medical help or see your doctor, if you think you have taken overdose of trimox. Symptoms of overdose may include skin rash, seizure, behavior changes, urinating less than usual or confusion, vomiting, diarrhea.
What if I am taking any other drug?
If you are taking any other drug or any herbal product with trimox, the effect of such drug or herbal drug can change. It may in some cases lead to drug interaction. Further this increases the risk of side effects or may interrupt the working of medicine. It is recommended that you should tell you doctor about any medicine that you are taking in case he is prescribing you trimox. While taking trimox if you want to start, change the dosage or stop any other medicine, doctor’s consultation is necessary.